Saturday, March 15, 2014

EMA REVIEWS- ROCKY ON BROADWAY


ROCKY THE MUSICAL IS A WINNER!

Maybe it’s because I’m a fighter, maybe it’s because I am half Italian…I don’t know…but Rocky is and forever will be my FAVORITE movie! 
I believe everything you need to know about life you can find in a Rocky movie.   You watch Rocky when you are feeling down on your luck, Rocky 2 when you are feeling romantic, Rocky 3 when you are losing your edge, Rocky 4 when you are feeling patriotic, Rocky 5 when you are broke and Rocky 6 when you have arthritis.   I love that character so much I even like Rocky 5 and 6.  Maybe this makes you question my judgement but it should make you realize I’m an authority on the subject.  I will tell you this:  when I heard they were doing a Rocky play for Broadway I was not happy. I didn’t want anyone to make a mockery out of that first film.  I really hate remakes of things that are so beautiful they shouldn’t be touched. Rocky captured the heart of a fighter and a broken person's desire for love and acceptance.   I work in the fight business and Rocky is referenced at least once a day.   I got my tickets and I worried. Thirty seconds in my doubts were lifted. I was hooked! 


On Broadway, Tom Meehan’s script follows the movie faithfully.  It captured all the nuances of the 70’s, Rocky’s bad jokes and several moments were 100 percent true to the film (I know it by heart), and the things that were added were brilliant and sweet.  I really enjoyed some of the script changes even though I am a Rocky purist. They worked for the stage and breathed new life into the characters we all love.  


The cast is Great!  Andy Karl (Jersey Boys) as Rocky, captures 1970’s Stallone in an uncanny way. He perfected the walk and just enough of the voice and slack jaw that it seemed authentic without being a bad impersonation of Sly. Anyone who knows the movie well will remember that there’s a part where Rocky knocks Apollo down.  Rocky is so stunned by this he spins awkwardly trying to get to a neutral corner.  The dude playing Rocky captures that spin so well I swear it was cut and pasted from the film. 

Margo Seibert plays Adrian.  They pair well together and the sweetness and tenderness is not lost even though her solo numbers somewhat drag.  Dakin Matthews is Mickey, the old-timer who becomes Rocky’s manager. The actors captured the roller coaster of their initial relationship well.  Terrence Archie plays Apollo Creed.  He might be the sexiest man I have ever seen on stage and his body speaks professional athlete. Danny Mastrogorgio plays Adrian’s brother Paulie. He’s a bit more confident and less brooding than Burt Young’s Paulie. He comes off more as an arrogant jerk than a struggling alcoholic but it still works.


The music is not entirely Bill Conti’s score even though you can expect to hear some familiar melodies from the original films.  Some of the songs fall flat, I could do without Mickey’s musical number, Adrian’s solo numbers drag a bit but she has an extremely pretty voice and it captures the characters mousiness.   Without revealing too much I will say this… there’s an Apollo-Creed-1970’s- moment with some dancing girls and some outfits that put Diana Ross and Beyoncé to shame.

Now lets get to the most impressive thing about this musical_ THE SET DESIGN!  

The scenes in the gym are great.  Of course its stage combat so it’s doesn’t look 100 percent real but it’s pretty damn good. And I am shocked they found musical theatre actors that physically look like fighters. There was one dude so massive I was like “is that Allistair Overeem”?

The recreation of  the museum steps, the streets of Philadelphia, his crappy apartment, the neighborhood, the meat locker, the reporters and commentators at a fight event….I could honestly go on and on but I don’t want to reveal too much.  There were several moments I said “wow” out loud and prompted the Shut-the-F-up-half-turn- from the guy sitting in front of me.  Let me put it to you this way- if this show doesn’t win something for set design I will be furious.  I may actually watch the Tony’s this year!  It was a really fun night out reliving some of the heart and soul of what made Rocky touch people so genuinely.  I could say so much more but I will just say – Go buy a ticket.