Thursday, February 13, 2014

EVERYTHING MARTIAL ARTS___FITNESS___EXERCISE,YOUR MIND and WORDS OF WISDOM FROM RAKIM ALLAH


                                             EXERCISE FOR INTELLIGENCE 
My favorite Emcee is a guy named Rakim.  I was fortunate enough to meet him and speak to him on several occasions.  When you get to meet your idols you don’t take it for granted.  I have always listened intensely to things Rakim had to say.  He's very wise, very poetic and a huge fan of the combat sports.  We got along instantly and I always look forward to our chats.  He told me he rarely gets writers block.  In an old interview, he said if he can’t think of anything he just goes out into the world and starts living.

As some of you know, I am working on getting back to stand up comedy.  Last week I had writers block and I thought of RAKIM.  I figured, okay-  nothing gets my brain going more than exercise.  So I had to go back out into the world and train.  It really got me thinking though,  so many people have to perform and be creative at work.  My question is: how creative can you be often starring at a computer screen and 4 walls? 
Many people sit sedentary for 40 hours a week or more. 

Endurance and resistance training are proving to be the dynamic duo that build and rejuvenate the body from head to toe. Studies have shown that improving your physical fitness can help to improve your mental fitness.

Aerobic exercise has been shown many times to improve cognitive function, but a recent study shows that strength training can improve executive functions. Executive functions are important because they are a mental ability that helps us make decisions and do several things at once (like driving). They’re associated with how quickly you perform mental tasks such as multi takings, decision- making, and problem solving.   It explains the old expression “go take a walk!”. 

Think about! When you are boxing the very mitts you hit are called FOCUS Mitts!  You are working on hand-eye coordination and cognitive function.  How much better have your reflexes become after training to fight or for any sporting activity.  New Yorkers who go to the gym are less likely to get thrown by the inconsistent walking pattern of a tourist.  I said thrown off…notice I didn't say annoyed.  LOL 

Regular exercise has been proven to be more effective than brain games, super foods, supplements or any other method used to keep the brain sparking on all cylinders.
Consistently exercising doesn’t just reshape your muscles but it helps reshape your mind. One of the most exciting changes that exercise causes is a process called Neurogenesis.  Neurogenesis is the growth of new brains cells, something that until recently wasn’t thought possible. Scientists believe that through physical exertion new brains cells are produced, possibly by increasing the capacity of capillaries serving the brain so there is increased blow flow.  With increase blood flow the brain receives more oxygen, which accelerates cell growth and repair.  Now getting kicked and punched in the head….well, that will have to be for another article. 

The human brain is able to continually adapt and rewire itself.  It’s NEVER too late. Even in old age, it can grow new neurons. Severe mental decline is usually caused by disease, whereas most age-related losses in memory or motor skills simply result from inactivity and a lack of mental exercise and stimulation.  Inactive individuals were twice as likely to develop Alzheimer's, compared to those with the highest levels of activity (exercised vigorously at least three times a week). In other words, use it or lose it.  No matter what your fitness goals, your brain is the 3 lbs you never want to lose.   So the next time you're stuck with a thought, an idea or a problem you wanna “work out”  go work it out at the gym. 



I start to think and then I sink into the paper like I was ink
. When I'm writing, I'm trapped in between the lines
, I escape when I finish the rhyme, I got soul  _ RAKIM